Saturday, December 26, 2009

Advice from Anne Rice … and Writing, Inspired.



One of my all time favourite authors (hell at one point in my early teens,  I considered her my mentor) Anne Rice posted on her FaceBook page, some great advice for aspiring writers recently, she wrote: “All aspiring writers out there: know that we need you, we need your voice, your vision, your stories. Be brave. Go where the pain is; go where the pleasure is. Seek to create in words the world in which you long to live. (Dec. 15th 2009).

So I haven’t been writing much lately… well not in the way that I would like to be.
I mean, yes, I’ve been Blogging and Tweeting and FaceBooking, but I haven’t been writing (specifically any poetry or short stories or even the continuation of my WIP potential first novel)!
I’m not fazed with fear or panicked by this fact though. 
Mainly because I have always been one who writes on inspiration. Thus when I’m not inspired, I won’t write. I know some believe in the “write something everyday”, and it works for them. But for me I’ve never been able to adhere to this philosophy. I can’t force myself to write (at least not if I want to get something good out of it).

My writing is connected to/by that which inspires me.

Many of my now one hundred plus pieces of poetry (going as far back as when I was 7 yrs old), have been written this way.
As well as several of my already written short stories and my “potential” Storyline outlines – which I’ve been sitting on since the age of 12 or 13, and now numbering 16 in count (the most recent of which, a fantasy, dragons and swords piece, was inspired this past spring 2009.)

How long will I sit on these storylines that could become full stories and then potential novels?
I honestly don’t know, ‘cause inspiration can be a funny thing.
Like I said in my poem Montreal, Mon Cheri (which I may post here at a later date), “Inspiration come when may.”

I mean, when I had discovered the love of writing poetry at that early age (and actually, initially I never used to “write” my poems down, but rather, I used to recite them orally and audibly as they came to me, from head to mouth… needless to say, most of the earlier ones are lost on the wind, but I digress).

When I discovered the love of writing, it was never with the dream of one day being published (or far less, of having anyone interested enough in what my thoughts were). That dream (of being published) came much, much later… and can actually now (in this day, age and location) have the potential of being realized.

I write because I like to. I write when I’m inspired to.

A poem comes to me out of the blue and (now as opposed to before, LoL); I write it down in one of my iridescent coloured note books. I still always “hand” write, before I “type” write.

Just like with/in my journal(s). These I’ve had / been writing since I’d been in my early teens as well… and when I sometimes go back and read what I’d written, way back then (or even as near back as a couple years ago), I find myself laughing… not at “what” I’d written, but “how” it was written.

Mind you, I’m not being “ego” here, but the humour and tone of voice cracks me up. Often I’m like, did I write that!

Hmm, so what was the point I was aiming to make again…

Oh yes, so there you have it, I write when inspired, and for the most part my muse has been good to me.
But lately I’m thinking he/she must be on holiday!  Hopefully, not for too long though!

Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings! Wishing all the best for the New Year 2010!


 

No comments: